When designing a website, it is important that it serves as a medium between the owner and the visitors. It is deemed very important especially for websites who are offering their products or services such as a storm drain cleaning website because it highlights the services offered. Typically, a website’s prospect clients will scan the entire page before reading any of the texts. If they find anything interesting then they start exploring the website more. Using icons properly is one way to catch the attention of users.
Icons and paragraph breaks are both used for the same reason – to give the illusion that contents are not packed and there is enough space. A properly made page is utilizing both paragraph breaks and icons to keep the users attention longer and to make them read the important messages you want to relay. Some website owners focus their attention on writing too many words without realizing that all they need are icons.
Here are some tips and tricks one can apply when incorporating icons in web design.
1. Properly manage icons
Icons are stimulators for readers to be able to absorb and appreciate a website’s content. This is best achieved when employing great amount of white space and choose icons that complements the content rather than distract the readers. Icons will help enrich a website, give substance to the contents and be able to relay messages to the users even with fewer words used. Remember that icons should help your content to be more interesting but not overlap it. Take for example the website Grease Mania and how it had incorporated in its web design the proper use of icons. It gave the website a look that says “less is more”.
– In marketing a website offering services for storm drain cleaning, icons can be effectively used when listing these services which are usually plain and boring without the help of icons. Icons will spice up the lists and makes them more appealing.
– If you are presenting a web application, icons can be great tools to highlight the latest features added. The icons should be able to draw the users’ attention and make them aware of the new features.
– You can also place icons in connection of the list of products you are endorsing. The icon will serve as a logo that people will easily associate your product to. It should be unique yet minimalist. Usual icon size is 128×128 pixels.
– Do not use just any icon. First, it should be in connection with the content. If your website is offering services for storm drain cleaning then the icons should be related to the text content as well. Grease Mania used icons such as truck, water droplet and umbrella – symbols which are connected to their storm drain cleaning business. Second, it should complement the whole website – the idea, theme and color used. These will greatly improve your list of services and users’ will be engaged.
2. Consider the placement of the icons and the purposes it serve
Icons will send a message to users of how much you care with every little detail thus saying something about your personality as a designer or an entrepreneur. Icons should be strategically placed – headers, titles, sidebars and lists – in order to serve its purpose.
– Make your titles more appealing by adding a well-designed icon.
– Place icons on pages which contains a lot if texts and information. It will encourage the readers to read everything.
– Use icons as you would use a paragraph break in order to separate certain sections.
– The sizes of the icons are not important. As long as it serves the purpose of accenting the contents.
– Be bold by trying new placements such as putting icons on the right of the content rather than the usual left side.